Genesee/Orleans Council on Alcoholism & Substance Abuse
Needing a significant growth in office and program space, GCASA sought to relocate from the lower level of the former Genesee Hospital to a former residence adjacent to their Atwater House, a residential facility located on East Main Street. The structure was originally built in the later 1800’s and was added to twice as a large residence. When acquired by GCASA, the house had been unused for several years. Wood framed and originally built in the Italianate Style, the building sat on a parcel whose grounds had been previously well nurtured, but had become overgrown with time.
After assessing the condition of the structure and recognizing spatial needs of the program, but with a desire to effectively reuse the historic structure and preserve its place in the community, it was decided to maintain the very original structure and to remove the later additions to make room for a new structure to be built in the spirit of the original.
The original structure was gutted and essentially rebuilt structurally and mechanically throughout. The two story addition housing the offices and counseling areas was constructed to the rear of the original, with the second floors aligning and positioning an elevator at the juncture between the new and the old. A completely new electrical and gas service was installed.
The result was a rebuilt structure that preserved the historic, residential character of the original, complementing the Atwater facility next door and earning compliments from the historical society of Batavia.