Batavia Veterans Administration Medical Center
As part of the overall campus of the Veterans Administration in the heart of the City of Batavia, FFAE Architects was commissioned to integrate new 18 bed Transitional Housing for homeless veterans throughout New York State as part of the Veterans Administration Medical Center’s continuum of care. Built in 1932, this National Historic Registered Landmark is an existing five story poured in place reinforced concrete frame with concrete floor joists and slab system. As part of a National Competition for federal funding, this project represents the first time the VA has partnered with outside community non-for-profit(s) and State Agencies (OASAS) to assist in the care of veterans.
The exterior of the building is an authentic representation of Federal Style exhibiting flemish bond brick veneer system with masonry block tile backup, the exterior is adorned continuous simulated stone terra cotta cornices, two story portico, slate roofing and a stone balustrade crown.
The overall project renovation features the integration of 18-bed in a cluster arrangement. Each cluster is divided into two separate neighborhoods, where nine residents share a common semi-private lounge located at the end of each wing. Each neighborhood is further divided into a series of households which is commensurable to the number of private and shared bathing rooms. All residents share a central dining area which is served from the central kitchen within the facility with common program spaces include: a small kitchenette, a computer room that houses internet capabilities for vocational and educational purposes, and a living room that is to be used for family, visitors and social occasions. Careful integration of the rehabilitation work will be executed commensurable to the Office of Interiors and Historic Preservation Guidelines preserving the historic character and visual linkages of the exterior and interior spaces.