Located on Main Street between St. Mary’s School for the Deaf and Sisters Hospital, and originally built in 1908 as a U.S. Marine Hospital, the building served as a home for providing general medical services to sailors, marine soldiers, veterans and merchant marines for almost 50 years. One of the most common conditions treated was alcoholism.
The New York State Historic Preservation Office recognized it’s eligibility for listing in the National Register of Historic Places. As such, it provided review for the proposed renovations prior to any jurisdictional regulatory office, ensuring that the Project complied with the strict guidelines set in place by the NYS Historic Preservation Act of 1980. In three separate instances in its history, this building has played, and continues to play, a role in the forefront of medicine and treatment.
This 28,600 square foot renovation focused on providing spaces that would impart individuals with a sense of independence inside a smaller community setting. The building’s current interior renovations accommodate 23 studio apartments for individuals in recovery from substance use disorders and/or who are at risk of becoming homeless. Each tenant rents a fully-furnished studio apartment, supported by laundry facilities shared by each floor.
Program participants receive support with managing their substance use disorder, as well as assistance with day-to-day living skills, budgeting, and vocational development. These skills are supported by Cazenovia Recovery System’s Housing Program, which was relocated into the Lower Level of this building, complete with staff offices, open work areas, and meeting rooms. Careful attention was paid to restoring historic features, such as the existing stairway, glass elevator, wood paneling in the corridors, fireplaces, and exterior masonry.